Casting vs sintering filamet

I’ve been working for the past couple weeks getting things setup to do some lost resin casting (primarily for the detail that can be achieved).

I’ll be posting a video on this but man… just for starters is it a lot of work compared to printing and sintering. I’ll be comparing the results and steps side by side so others can see what I went through, but I’ve yet to achieve success with lost investment yet.

To put this in perspective my steps for both techniques

Lost Investment:

• obtain model and design a cast tree
    • this step could be done by hand with wax sticks and a wax meter, but I want as smooth and consistent process as possible
  • cleanup supports (with resin there are a lot with the tree)
  • paint and let dry with some plaster of Paris
  • find a steel vessel big enough for the tree and pour in plaster to cover tree
  • let cure / dry (my first try took days…)
  • burnout resin/wax
  • melt metal and heat mould
  • pour metal and let cool
  • quench investment cast and remove plaster
  • cut models from tree and individually clean and polish

VF sintering

• print my thing (use idex printer with pla supports)
  • remove supports
  • put in refractory with my metal putty and sinter carbon and wrap (a few minutes to do)
  • sinter on kiln schedule
  • remove and polish. Done… that’s its.

Definitely not saying there’s no use for casting, because there are plenty of good benefits (for me the detail), but I have to say… as someone trying to compare both and starting from square one in both techniques, I really have to say how much less there is to do to get over the finish line.

2 Likes

This is a great summary @highball . I look forward to seeing the comparison video.

1 Like

I’m going to be 3D printing for casting glass (using polymaker’s polycast and machinable wax’s blue wax filament (if I can get it to print) so this is good to know for casting in general!

1 Like