Conductive Composites, MWCNT, Graphene, non-sintered

For about the past year I’ve been experimenting with various strategies for making conductive printable thermopolymers. I’m going to put this out to both our forum and mailing lists as a Request For Comment.

I’ve sourced enough Multi-Wall Carbon Nanotubes to make a lab-size batch of filament. My initial concern is deciding how much to add. Using too much will be simply wasteful, using too little will waste the CNT’s for the opposite reason. As things stand right now, MWCNT’s are too expensive to deploy an affordable product.

We’ve been given samples by Rice University. They work with several of our other materials and thought we’d find this one interesting (they were right). This group is making great headway in bringing the cost of these materials down by creating better manufacturing methods.

This link is just a google search for Rice University and Nanotubes, but it will give you a good idea of what they are up to. (Google Search)

I’ll post more here as things move forward. This should be a fun development effort, I’m going to make this one as public as possible. This forum will be the main communication point, along with some YouTube videos.

Just for perspective, this will be about the 25th 3D printable material we have developed here at TVF. Most are available in our store, the remainder are custom materials developed for our customers.

Interesting Sidebar: Our Tungsten material was originally a custom development for a company called Vulcan GMS out of milwaukee. As we went through the development effort we decided to partner with Vulcan GMS in a Joint Venture called Rapid 3D Shield. The printable Tungsten has radiation shielding properties nearly matching those of lead. This makes it a non-toxic lead replacement that just happens to be 3d printable. It’s been a very successful venture for us.

Here’s a link to one of the research papers that I’m using to launch the Conductive Filament project. As always, we welcome your input.

More to come,
-Brad

1 Like

Here’s the hard copy of the paper mentioned above.

Carbon NanoTubes.pdf (207.8 KB)

Hi Bradley,

great project !
FYI the link to the research papers used for Conductive Filament does not work.

regarding the hard copy file, they work on a nano scale ! amazing!
regarding this new conductive filament, you plan use 0.4 -0.6mm nozzle ?