Hello from a hobbyist

Just saying hey :wave:
Looking forward to sharing knowledge from my trials and learning from others.

I’ve gone through my first spool of copper filamet in experimentation and am about to start my second (after I finish upgrading my extruder to all metal).

My “benchy” is a metal upa from the anime steins gate, and have been documenting everything via video (will publish to YouTube after I’m happy with the sinter).

My printer:

  • ender 3 pro (bowden style)

Along the way I’ve tried various things but I’ll post some other topics with more specifics.

Here’s some before and after sinters. The sinters aren’t good yet but I’ve been testing different infill percentages (almost there)


Hello, hobbiest!

I haven’t tried to use infill yet, but maybe this part would be suitable for vase mode? That way, you could fill it to the top with aluminum oxide! might keep it from getting squashed!

They also look a bit charred, do you have carbon left in your crucible when you’re done?

These were done at:

  • 10%
  • 25%
  • 35%
    Infill right to left (smooshed to the left :slight_smile: )

The charring I have noticed but didn’t know of that was normal or not? With these I did not have any remaining carbon after the full cycle. I’ve been experimenting with giving a vinegar bath over night which seems to clean it some then sanding after, but first… I need a fully intact, not smooshed piece which I think i can get on my next fire with 50% infill :crossed_fingers:

My benchy is my head, when my carbon is gone at the end I get something like this after soaking in acid


And which is brittle and cracks open like yuck

In comparison, when carbon is left over the head shines up immediately in acid and isn’t brittle at all. (it does smoosh though to since the model is partially hollow). Do you have some kind of pottery lid that could fit over your crucible when sintering? When I did that my carbon consumption went way down.

upa is a cute character, I hope it works for you!

Cool thanks. I had seen something similar and had a hunch (this was on a much thinner part and was higher in the Crucible than the upa).

I’ve been experimenting with using wood chips (BBQ kind, the garage smells pretty good after this) and I have tried charcoal that I crushed. Piling on the wood chips seems to do a pretty good job though and a good bit safer of a fume (windows are definitely open either way).

I’ve also been toying with castable refractory. Made a “kiln coaster” to try and set my Crucible on to avoid sticking to the brick (lesson learned there…). A lid definitely could be cast and used though, but I’ve been trying to do everything without stopping the fire (aka opening the kiln after debind).
My thought process there is just to have enough on top not to worry about it so I can let it do it’s thing over night (this might not be 100% the best way, but my “set it & forget it” gene is forcing me to try).

My other use that hopefully will pan out is casting a large rectangular “Crucible” which can take up more of the volume of my kiln. Don’t know the downsides to this, so I’m starting small and will work my way up in the hopes if making larger prints and parts.

Finally had some time to finish replacing the extruder on my ender with an all metal one (had slippage of gear and under extrusion) so shooting for the next few days to have a solid print/sinter and video edit after that

Filawarmer purchased. After swapping my extruder I got 3 filament breaks in a row on the first layer or two… fix one problem on to the next…